Analog Media Part 1: Pens
I will write about different media and suggestions starting with pens every so often. Subsequent
posts will talk about pencils, sketchbooks and miscellaneous tools such as
erasers and sharpeners. In the meantime, please let me know if you have any questions!
Part 1: Pens
Pens
Like most
sketchers, architects, designers and artists, I use different pens for
different situations. I prefer pens over pencil (at least as of this writing) because I can't "go back" and erase. Once the ink is on the page, it's on the page...and I have to work with what I've given myself. "A card laid is a card played". Also, I simply like the ink's darkness and the feel of a pen on paper.
For detailed or intricate drawings, I use Pilot G-Tech roller-ball pens that I first discovered in Japan (home of the best stationary stores!) that come in .25, .30 and .40 size tips.
| Pilot G-Tech Roller Ball Pen |
For design sketches and critiques, I prefer a Pentel Arts Sign Pen which is a felt-tip pen. Sign Pens are popular with architects because of the medium size, moist tip that allows for fast, dark lines.
Fountain Pens
The pens that I use most consistently are Fountain Pens.
There are at least four reasons I prefer them:
1) Liquid Ink
The ink is liquid and flows without the need to "roll the ball" or "push down on the felt tip". These may seem minor foibles, but when you’re sketching, any delay caused by the rolling or the pushing to get the ink on the sheet actually delays thinking.
2) Nibs
The nib is the knife-like tip of a fountain pen. These are often removable so you can either replace worn out nibs or change the size. You can get a range of nib sizes from Extra Fine to Broad. The Extra Fine and Fine are perfect for design sketching.
3) Ink Colors
You can use a great variety of (and even mix) ink colors. Most of time I use black ink, but I also have dark red, sepia and dark blue inks.
4) Sustainable
The good thing about fountain pens is that you only need to buy one pen and, even with decent care, it will last for years. That's several dozen fewer plastic pens in a landfills or oceans. The prices for a "day-to-day" fountain pen range from under $10 to $40. You can, of course, buy more expensive fountain pens but something under $30 will be fine for sketching.
Choosing a Fountain Pen
I suggest visiting a fountain pen store and test different brands and models. Check the pen's weight and balance and, of course, the feel of the nib on the paper. Don't worry about buying an inexpensive pen if you've never used a fountain pen before. Some of the best pens that I've used for sketching are under $10. You can always upgrade if you like using a fountain pen. Then the next thing you know you'll be going to fountain pen shows.
Fountain Pen Preferences
My "go to" fountain pen brand is Lamy. I consider these the "Volkswagens
of Fountain Pens": these German-made pens are well-designed, well-crafted, durable yet delicate, and sell
at a decent price. Lamy makes several models that go from inexpensive to high-end. I prefer the Lamy "Logo" pen line. The Logo's slim, metal
body has a good feel, is well-balanced and usually comes with a "Fine"
and "Extra Fine" nib. "Logo" pens sell for under $40.
Lamy's entry-level pen is the "Safari". It is a good pen, but feels a bit bulky to me and comes with a standard "Medium" nib (and I prefer "Fine" and "Extra Fine" nib). You can, of course, switch out the standard nib for a finer nib.
The second most
common fountain pen that I use are Pilot pens manufactured in Japan. Pilot makes over 200 different types of quality fountain pens that can suit any size, budget, material, weight, color or nib preference.
A great source of pens is JetPens.com. Check it out and enjoy the pen adventure!
Comments
Post a Comment